domingo, 8 de mayo de 2022

Our City's Hidden Women



This project is the prideful and exciting outcome of a vague idea that has not left my mind

for the last two years. Ever since I finished my course in Tourism, while working as

a teacher as well. I knew I wanted to use my newly acquired knowledge about the impressive history of Pontevedra and “spread the word”, so to speak, to younger generations in an educational and interesting way. The podcast ended up being the perfect format to do it. Little did I know that the school happened to have a superb radio equipment available for the teens to feel like  professional reporters.

As for the feminist side of it, March was the ideal month to work on raising awareness about the urgent need to provide our students with female icons to have as example of what women can accomplish against all odds. Mixing those two topics, Pontevedra and feminism, resulted in the astounding project that 3rd ESO put together.

Working with each and every one of the students and getting to know them has been a real pleasure and I cannot put into words how much I have learnt from them and how much I have enjoyed the time we spent together.

They are the perfect example of team work makes the dream work. Their effort has paid off and the result, as you can see, is FAN-TAS-TIC. They're such talented people and I cannot help but admire them.

Once again, thank you, Arturo and Álex, Aroa P., Aroa T., Belén, Carmen, Estela, Leire, Lorenzo, Manuel, Marcos, Mariana, Olimpia, Pablo, Rubia and Taida, for sharing my journey and bringing out the best in me, both as a teacher and as a person.

Tatiana Lores.











Link to project outcome: https://sites.google.com/view/our-citys-hidden-women/


Congratulations


I enjoy having trainee teachers from Máster do Profesorado, because it is usually the refreshing moment of every year, as I observe their surprise while they realize that teaching is not always that hard; it can also become a rewarding task if you have the right concept, attitude and realism. 

In fact, realism could be this year's word. One day Tatiana, my trainee, asked me: "What do you do in order not to get unmotivated or upset?"  The answer came fast and easy: " being realistic". The question, obviously, came up after a rather discouraging class, in which some students had not turned up and the attitude of most of the attendants was passive, uncooperative. There is an English proverb which says: "you can bring a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink". 

If a student does not want to study or thinks that what you are teaching them is useless - and there are quite a few, who also state that grades are the only thing that matters and, therefore, learning is not their goal-, he will not do anything except talk and disturb. In those cases, the only thing you can do is try to convince, to involve them in the class routine, be a good role model of steady work and never lose good manners or your temper. And then, when their behavior does not allow a decent lesson, take the measures the school rules allow you to keep the group under control, so the ones who DO want to learn can work comfortably. It is that easy or that difficult depending on your sense of authority and personal skill to cope with these situations, which everybody can learn.

However, the main reason for my interest is that driven teachers-to -be usually come up with some new ideas and projects that inspire you to open new paths to practical and motivating teaching.

Here is the result of this year’s experience. I find it brilliant; congratulations to both the teacher and the students.


Arturo Neira

Tatiana and students








No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario